Friday, June 5, 2009

Falling and Getting Up

We fall down, we get up,
We fall down, we get up,
And the saints are just the sinners
Who fall down and get up.

-- Kyle Mathews

This song from the contemporary Christian canon has great meaning for me. This is what God requires of us: when we fall down, we have to get up again. MotherTeresa said that we are not called to be successful, we are called to be faithful.

This is how my job search goes as well. You have a bad patch and things get better. Then you have another bad patch, and then things get better. Repeat indefinitely. The lessons, as I see them, are not to give up and to use the time on the ground to make you more sensitive to your fellow fallen.

I have always been very bad at keeping in touch with people. I'm a hermit at heart and did not keep in contact with friends from high school or college. I've lost touch with former co-workers. In this Brave New World, that's a losing strategy, both for Christians and job seekers. Your network is your best chance of getting another job, and your network is your best chance of keeping your sanity and seeing Christ in one another. May God grant me the grace to not lose touch with my friends again.

No comments:

Post a Comment